Altered Boho Dress

I bought this dress probably 8 years ago at a sample sale for $10.  I liked the dusty rose color, and have always admired how my friend looks in her flow-y long dresses.  However, it just did not look good on me.  I have long legs and a short torso and this dress turned out to be too short on me, the bottom hem hitting around my ankles.  The cut of the arm holes also made my arms looked fat. But somehow it survived multiple rounds of purging, staying in my closet for years and years, worn maybe once or twice, and each time making me feel uncomfortable in it, like I just didn’t look right.

Then, I started sewing lessons with little e, mainly just because I wanted to give her sewing teacher more hours since she had to take the trouble of driving more than 30 minutes to our house.  In the beginning, she suggested that I learn how to alter clothes, taking little e’s old clothing, and altering them to extend their wear.  I immediately thought of my dusty rose boho dress.

IMG_3638.JPG

Here it is, altered for little e.  I am so happy with it.  It was easy to do and fits her perfectly. I just took in the shoulder straps, which also reduced the armholes  to just the right size, and then also pulled in the sides under her armpit.  Lastly, I pulled up the dress a little at the waist and that was it.  In these pictures which I just took, the dress is already getting a little short on her as it’s been a year since the alterations, but all I have to do is rip out the seam I sewed around the waist to let down the dress.  It’ll take less than 5 minutes since I’m such a good ripper, now.   =)

IMG_3628.JPG

Little e was being a goofball and making weird poses.  Little c was jumping into a lot of the pictures, too, but I finally got a few that I could post.  I’m not sure what she’s doing here but I thought it showed off the bottom of the dress nicely.  It’s flow-y so she can walk around comfortably in it, and a unique dress for a child her age.  She loves it because it’s long and nearly touches the ground, kind of like what a princess would wear.  I love that I was able to find some use for this dress and think this looks lovely on her.  In fact, she wore it for her school pictures last year.

IMG_3614.JPG

I believe the bottom of this dress material is double gauze, a material that I’ve been researching the last few days.  It’s basically two layers of gauze sewed together to give it a little bit more structure and is the same type of material made popular by the company aden and anais for their swaddles and burp clothes.  It’s a light weight material that is breathable and soft, perfect for night gowns like the one I made previously for little e.  I originally thought it was called muslin but apparently, in the US, it’s called double gauze.  I found so many pretty ones that now, I’m planning to make a night gown for myself.  Hopefully, I’ll get to that soon.

IMG_3636.JPG

For now I should go dig into my pile to donate clothes and see if more can be modified for little e.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s